Many of us are ready to get out of the house and hit the roads during these warm, sunny months. Thoughts of travel and fun are so alluring after months of social distancing and quarantine. Even though we now may be able to get away for a few days, this possibility comes with some hidden dangers. One problem we face is the presence of unseen pests within many hotel rooms. Protect yourself by learning the telltale signs of a hotel pest infestation.
Signs of Bedbugs
Visions of bedbugs crawling over us while we slumber are enough to make us want to stay home. A thorough inspection of the seams of beds, curtains, and furniture is needed.
Search for the following signs of a bedbug infestation:
- Rusty, brown stains: These elusive creatures tend to use rusty-brown stains as their calling cards. Look for the markings in then seams of all upholstered or stitched items.
- Blood spots or streaks: Many victims leave streaks of blood without realization. Find these markings not only along the seams but also across surface areas.
- Shed skins: Be on the watch for discarded skins. Bedbugs may leave multiple cases lying around as they go through their lifecycles.
Signs of Cockroaches and Flies
While bedbugs feast on human blood, cockroaches and flies prefer to battle over leftover food or decaying matter. Because of their much larger size, signs are easier to spot if you know where to look:
- Leftover food trays: Remnants of meals or snack foods often attract flies and cockroaches.
- Garbage cans: Trash that has lingered more than a day or so will usually draw flies for sampling.
- Dark and damp areas: Cockroaches especially love dark, moist areas, such as under the refrigerator or under the bathroom sink.
Signs of Rodents
Pests aren’t just of the six-or-eight legged varieties. Rodents carry various diseases, contaminate food, and host other vermin. These invaders must be dealt with immediately. Search for the following clues of a rodent infestation:
- Droppings: The refuse of rodent is dark and pellet-shaped. Droppings may range from around a half-inch to a full inch in length, depending on the species.
- Urine stains: The foul smell of urine often accompanies the droppings that are left. Urine streaks may usually be found near the walls or around cracks or crevices.
- Smudge marks: Once you see droppings or urine streaks, you may also find greasy smudge-marks against the walls where rodents tend to run.
Don’t let pest infestations ruin your travel plans this season. Knowledge is power. Equip yourself ahead of time to identify signs of the presence of the most common hotel pests.
Look to the professionals of ABC Exterminating Inc. for all of your pest control needs. Our expertise and experience will help prepare you for how to handle any situation. Call on us today.
Uncovering Signs of a Hotel Pest Infestation Pest Control in Milford CT
Serving Your Pest Needs Since 1966 across Fairfield County CT