Fall is approaching. There’s a crispness to the morning air and the leaves are beginning to change color. For many people, this is a favorite time of year. As the leaves begin to fall, we’re not the only ones thinking about getting cozy on those chilly nights. Many insects also love fallen leaves — whether piles or layers in your yard. Leaves can provide food and shelter for several pests.
If you are raking leaves into piles, here are some of the insects that appreciate your efforts.
- Beetles: You can often find beetles at the bottom of the pile where the leaves are moist and decaying.
- Termites: Though they prefer wood, termites are attracted to dry leaves. This can be especially problematic if your leaf pile is near your home providing easy access to invade your house.
- American Cockroaches: These roaches gladly dine on leaves or small pieces of wood in your yard.
- Black Widow Spiders: Black widows may take up residence in leaf piles. Be careful when moving leaves.
- Mice: In addition to insects, mice can find your fall yard, including leaf piles, enticing shelter.
To help prevent these pests, make sure to quickly remove your raked leaves. If your city provides yard waste pick-up, place the leaves in those bins. Or bag them and take them to your county’s waste and recycling center. Most centers have a program for creating compost from yard trimmings.
While raking up your leaves, remember to pick-up dead branches and twigs. Decomposing wood is also a great attractant for pests.
Chilly fall nights bring thoughts of woodburning stoves and fireplaces. Never store your wood stacks next to the house. In particular, termites can travel into your home. Make sure wood is stored off the ground and in a sheltered place.
Check Entry Sites
Pests, including mice, will start to look for warmer housing for the winter. Inspect your windows, doors, siding and foundation for cracks and crevices. Seal these areas as best possible to keep out unwanted house guests. Infestations can quickly grow out of hand with many pests, causing unwanted damage to your home or creating an unpleasant environment.
Falling leaves are enjoyable, but make sure to have a pest-free season in your home. We provide pest control services in both Fairfield County, CT and Westchester County, NY. To arrange for a free estimate or ask about our services, contact ABC Exterminating today.
What Falling Leaves Can Mean for Pest Control Pest Control in Milford CT
Serving Your Pest Needs Since 1966 across Fairfield County CT