Seeing a bug scurrying across a counter or floor in your home is disgusting. Unfortunately, the most significant insect threat to your home may come from the insects you rarely see. While ants or roaches may get into your food supply, termites can eat away at the very foundation of your home.
A termite infestation is often pervasive and expensive. Arm yourself with knowledge of the threats termites bring, the damage they cause and the telltale signs of an infestation.
Termite Infestation Statistics
The answer lies in just how much damage they do and how long it takes for the harm to be done. Consider the following facts:
- Over half a million homes in the United States are negatively affected by termites each year.
- Termite infestation is a major problem in the sale of homes, causing a massive impact on the economy.
- Though termites primarily feed on wood, they can also wreak havoc on insulation, landscaping and pool linings.
- Around five billion dollars are spent annually on termite control and damage repair.
The significant threat that termites cause calls for staying on guard for their presence.
How Much Damage Can Termites Cause?
Termites cause the most damage to the wooden structure of your home and the framing of your windows and doors. They often attack areas where the wood cannot be readily inspected. This damage includes wood inside the interior of your walls, under your house and within your attic. Finding the point of entry can be difficult because termites are so small.
Termites that begin in hard to reach places will eventually move inside your walls and even start eating into the wooden structures within your home, including wooden cabinets, flooring, furniture and decor. This reign of terror will not stop until they are found and eradicated.
Signs of a Termite Infestation
Once you are convinced of the seriousness of a termite infestation, it is time to take action. Look for the following signs:
- Painted walls that begin to peel and bubble.
- Hollow sounds in what appears to be solid wood by tapping with a heavy object.
- Buckling walls and ceilings.
- Maze-like indentations in wooden structures.
- Mud tunnels on foundation or unexplainable dirt on walls.
- Remains of wings and bodies that look like winged ants.
- Swarms of termites or termite larvae in the spring.
Contact ABC Exterminating Today!
Your home deserves protection and preservation. Look to ABC Exterminating, Inc, for expert guidance in the detection and elimination of termites. We have over fifty years of expert termite eradication service in the Fairfield County community. Contact us today to equip yourself in the fight against termites.
How Termites Wreak Havoc on Your Home Pest Control in Milford CT
Serving Your Pest Needs Since 1966 across Fairfield County CT